Sunday, September 6, 2015



Dancing With God

In my life, and especially in the roles of father, manager, and deacon, many people often ask my advice.  I am humbled by the fact that they think I have some wisdom that they themselves don’t have access to.  I know we can all learn something from one another.  As I often tell my children “to learn from your mistakes is intelligent, but to learn from another’s mistakes is wisdom.”

Many people look to the internet for answers or even to the bible.  People will always find what they are looking for somewhere or another.

The issue however is not always one of higher thinking.  Sometimes the answers are subtle and are found in the realm of feelings.  Does it feel right or is something feeling forced, or just not quite right.  Often we dismiss this non-cerebral wisdom for the intelligence in our rationally thinking heads.

As Christians we must learn to trust our hearts as well - for that is the realm of God.  The ways of Jesus doesn’t always make sense, but they always feel right!  This is often where the ways of the world clashes with the ways of Jesus.  When looking for wisdom – pray…but then listen, not only with your mind and your five senses but listen also with your heart.  Jesus doesn’t always present himself to our minds.  Sometimes we just feel him, like a silent partner in a universal dance – and it feels just right!

I came upon the following passage which illustrates the concept of God’s wisdom in our lives.

When I meditated on the word Guidance, I kept seeing 'dance' at the end of the word.  I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.   When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.  The movement doesn't flow with the music, and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.   When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead, both bodies begin to flow with the music. One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back or by pressing lightly in one direction or another.  It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully. The dance takes surrender, willingness, and attentiveness from one person and gentle guidance and skill from the other. 

My eyes drew back to the word Guidance. When I saw 'G': I thought of God, followed by 'u' and 'i'.  'God, 'u' and 'i' dance.'  God, you, and I dance!

As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust that I would get guidance about my life. Once again, I became willing to let God lead. 

Sometimes when we are looking for all the answers sometimes it’s just best to let God lead.  That’s what many of us consider Grace. So dance together with God, trusting God to lead and to guide you through the challenges of this life.  Then you truly will be “dancing with the stars” (of the universe) in the form of their creator!


Your Faithful Servant,

Carmen



Discover a deeper spiritual connection with The Heart Of Discipleship. The Book is now available via http://heartofdiscipleship.com/ website or on Amazon at  http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Discipleship-Carm…/…/ref=sr_1_1…

No comments:

Post a Comment